Am I the only one who packs last minute? Don’t leave me hanging, folks! I’m going to use the excuse that I have a preschooler and toddler, and I’m 14 weeks pregnant, and I have to pack for all of us plus the two dogs for boarding… but I was also a last minute packer when I was in high school so I guess that’s probably not the real reason! Here’s my best tips for getting everything packed when you’re a scatterbrained, tired mama packing for your family:
- Start with a blank piece of paper and write the number of days you’ll be gone at the top
- Write the name of each person (or dog!) in their own area with room for a list underneath
- Write categories for each person. Hygiene, clothes, medications, food, sleep, toys/entertainment, electronics
- Now go through each sub-category and write down everything that comes to mind. It’s okay to jump around, for example if you write “toothbrush” for one person you might want to write it for the others as well while it’s fresh in your mind.
- As you pack, if something else pops into your mind, WRITE IT DOWN before you go grab it! You might forget it before you get to it. You know it’s happened!
Depending on how your home or brain is organized, you might want to do items as your main categories and people as sub categories. For example, you might put Clothes as a main category, then have a sub for each person. Either way works, as long as you have a spot for each person and each category of items!
I’m off to make my list now. I’m tempted to just run around grabbing things but I know a list will be quicker, more accurate, and more efficient. After all, I need to leave time for the next episode of ER.
Until next time, hang on to hope! <3